For many Texas drivers, there’s nothing like the freedom experienced from the back of a motorcycle.
The lack of safety features, such as seatbelts and a protective metal frame means that a collision with a passenger vehicle can have catastrophic results for the rider. At The Leigh Law Firm, we represent clients with loved ones seriously injured or killed in a crash with another vehicle.
According to FindLaw, it is critical that, as a motorcycle rider, you understand your legal rights in an accident, and the risks you take every time you ride.
- Motorcyclists are five times as likely to be injured than passengers in a car or truck.
- More than half of the accidents involving a passenger vehicle and a motorcycle occur due to a violation of the rider’s right of way.
- Unlike the fatalities for the occupants of cars and truck, which have fallen significantly in the last two decades, motorcycle deaths have more than doubled.
- Hazards such as potholes, debris and poor road conditions are potential obstacles with deadly results.
- More than 70 percent of vehicle vs. motorcycle collisions occur at intersections where the bike and rider are difficult to see, amid larger vehicles.
Driver negligence is the basis for the majority of claims involving a motorcycle. If a loved one died in an accident with a passenger vehicle, you might have grounds for a wrongful death claim. The court considers the specific circumstances, before deciding which party involved in the crash is at fault. Visit our webpage for more information on this topic.