A Texas woman has filed a wrongful death lawsuit against Bush’s Chicken for the death of her husband. The woman’s husband was diagnosed with Campylobacter poisoning shortly after eating the restaurant’s chicken strips and eventually died. Campylobacter is a bacteria found mostly in poultry. If the poultry is undercooked, it can cause severe illnesses and infections. The woman claims her husband’s wrongful death was due to eating the improperly cooked chicken.
On November 27, 2012, the woman and her husband purchased chicken strips from Bush’s Chicken’s drive thru. They ate some of the chicken strips on the way home from the restaurant and the rest of them later that night. The next morning, her husband started vomiting and had diarrhea. Later in the day, he was suffering from terrible pain in association with these ailments. The woman took her husband to the hospital where he was diagnosed with the Campylobacter Infection.
The husband stayed in the hospital for 10 days. During that time, he had to be resuscitated from a cardiac arrest. He was eventually released from the hospital on December 7, 2012, but had to return a couple more times. On December 21, 2012, the husband collapsed at home and died while being transported to the hospital.
The Bush’s Chicken restaurant where the woman’s husband likely contracted Campylobacter poisoning has a history of improperly cooking food along with other violations according to health inspections. The woman is seeking more than one million dollars in damages for the wrongful death of her husband. Losing a loved one to a wrongful death can be almost impossible for an individual to accept. Compensation from a successfully litigated lawsuit in a Texas civil court may help the deceased victim’s wife better cope with her pain and suffering.
Source: Food Poisoning Bulletin, Wrongful Death Lawsuit Alleges Campylobacter Poisoning From Chicken, Carla Gillespie, Jan. 19, 2014